↵ BROWSE ALL +65 ATHLETES / Dathan Ritzenhein
Here’s a look into Dathan Ritzenhein’s high school, college, and 2 post collegiate training systems. First looking into Dathan’s comments on training during these particular periods of his life, followed by weeks pulled out of his log book for each respective period. Although the weeks may be a week or 2 prior or post a particular race, he feels they still provide a sample of what the training he did entailed.
- To quote Dathan: “it was basically 6 days a week of intensity”
- Huge proportion of training being hard sessions. He’d never be able to do that sort of training currently, he mentions that as a 17/18 year old he could do just about anything without breaking down.
- No periodization. Did more training than anyone else
COLLEGE: Coach Wetmore
- His coach was a big Lydiard fan
- Periodized training
- Higher volume and really fast repeats with short recovery
- Most long runs were hard, and similar to long tempos
- Usually had 1 shorter interval session per week eg. 8x200m with 30 sec recovery, all out
POST COLLEGE 1: Brad Hudson
- Large focus on threshold training
- Periodization only during marathon training, more or less the same type of training during year-round non-marathon training.
- Most workouts were just above or below half-marathon pace
- During marathon training it was common to have hard long run sessions, with hardly any easy long runs. Eg sessions like 20 miles at marathon race pace.
- Only occasionally run faster workouts. Feels that his best races came while doing short faster training
POST COLLEGE 2: Alberto Salazar
- Much faster workouts with longer recovery
- ±100 miles a week, same volume as his past 10 years.
- Large emphasis on individual periodized training
High School - Summer of 2000 before XC season in Rockford MI
AM 7 miles easy on trails
PM 3 mile warm-up 5 x 1 mile on XC terrain at 5:10 pace 3 minutes rest 2 mile cool-down. Drills and bounding
AM 7 miles easy on trails.
PM 3 mile warm-up hill repeats ranging from 200m-500m. 2 mile cool-down. Core
AM 7 miles easy on trails
PM 3 mile warm-up 10 minutes of stair running. 32 x 400m in 66 with 400m jog. 8×50 meter explosions. 2 mile cool-down. (longest day ever!)
AM 5 miles easy on trails.
PM 3 mile warm-up, 20 minutes of 100m stride/ 100m easy. 2 mile cool-down. Core and drills.
AM 8 miles easy
AM: 3 mile warm-up 5 mile tempo at 5:10 pave on the roads. 2 mile cool-down.
AM 12 miles easy on trails and road.
College - Spring of 2004 after 27:38 10k debut in Boulder Colorado 5,400 ft
AM 7 miles easy on bike path
PM 7 miles easy on grass field. Strides and stadium bounding.
PM 3 mile warm-up and strides. 20 x 400m in 64 with 200m jog. 3 mile cool-down.
PM 15 miles at cinder trail at 5:45 pace
AM 7 miles easy on trail
PM 7 miles easy on bike path. Strides and stadium Bounding.
PM 3 mile warm-up and strides. 10k threshold on the track at 4:50 pace. 3 mile cool-down.
10 miles easy on trails.
17 miles on Magnolia Road at 8600ft. 5:50 Average.
Post Collegiate with Brad Hudson – Spring of 2009 in London Marathon Training
AM 9 miles easy with hill sprints and drills.
AM 3 mile warm-up. Drills and strides. 15x1000m on the road with 60 sec recovery in 2:47.
AM 9 miles easy
AM 9 miles easy with drills and strides
AM 3 mile warm-up. Drills and strides. 2 x 4 miles on wood chips at 4:45 pace with 2 minutes recovery. 3 mile warm down.
AM 7 miles easy
20 miles with last 5 miles hill climb at 4-5%. 5:45 average total.
Post Collegiate with Alberto Salazar- Summer of 2009 in St. Moritz at 6000ft before WC 10k
AM 3 mile warm-up, drills and strides. 7 x 1000m with 400m rec. in 2:39. 3 mile cool-down.
PM 5 miles easy
AM 5 miles
AM 6 miles easy
AM 6 miles easy and drills and Strides.
AM. 3 miles warm-up + drills and strides.
AM 5 miles easy
AM 3 mile warm-up, drills and strides. 5k time trial in 13:44. 3 mile cool-down.
Dathan Ritzenhein in 2007 under Coach Brad Hudson
40min. easy 2-3 easy strides 40min. easy
60min. progression ( 20e 20m 20 fast) 10min. easy 30min. easy
1:10min. 1/2 mod.
40min easy 4-5 strides 40min. easy
20min. w.u. fartlek 1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1- rec. mod. same 10min. w.d. 30min. easy
45min. easy jog
45min. easy 45min. easy
20min. w.u. 3 x 10min./ 183/4:00mod. 164 42min. continuous. 20min. w.d. 40min. easy
1:20min. last 40min. mod.
50min. easy 50min. easy
20min. w.u. 10 x 1km/ 60sec. threshold to current 10km Harper lake 20min. w.d. 40min. jog
1:30min. Magnolia w last 15min. mod.
50min. easy 50min. easy
20min. w.u. 3 x 15min. progressions/60sec jog/float 2-3-4 mmol ( 10 below-5 below-Threshold) 10min. w.d. 35min. easy
50min. easy+ 2-3 s.h.( first time doing short hills since injury) 50min. easy
20min. w.u. Fartlek Harper lake 5 x 6min. Threshold to current 10km 3:00 rec. 20min. w.d. 40min. easy
1:40min. w last 20min. fast up Left Hand Canyon
50min. easy+8x s.h. 50min. easy
20min. w.u. 2 x 10 x400m’s 66/65 60sec. rec. 4:00 mn. sets 20min. w.d. 40min.jog
60min. easy 45min. easy
20min. w.u. 3 x10min./183 w rec. 4:00 min. mod 164 42min. continous 20min. w.d.
1:40 w fast 20min. progression
50min. easy +10xs.h. 50min. easy
20min. w.u. 5 x 1600m 4:30-4:16 3:00 rec. 20min. w.d 40min. jog
1:30min. easy 1/2 mod.
60min. easy 35min. easy
20min. w.u. 2 x15min./60 sec. float+ 10 x200m’s 30/30 20min. w.d.
1:45 w last 30-40 mod. 5:40